Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Elephants (and people who work in a bar) never forget

Remembering drinks is our main job in the bar. Even when I'm out, and someone shouts over my shoulder to the bartender, I find myself repeating their order if the bartender didn't hear it or forgot or whatever. Because it seems so natural to me to remember my customers drinks even beyond the night that they are there, I am always a little shocked when they say "You remember my drink from last time?!"

Someone could have come in two months ago for the first time and I will remember their drink if they walk in tomorrow, especially if it was one with a lot of steps; like an absolute citron martini, up, with cranberry and a twist of lemon (people sometimes take a creative license and make up their own drinks and the results usually suck).

There are different kinds of drinkers and sometimes people order different things when they come in. The younger crowd is more prone to change their order, because usually they have no idea what they want/like and want to be cheap. Thus: well vodka with cranberry/well rum with diet/well gin and tonic

As a side note: it's been brought to my attention numerous times that the term "well" seems to confuse people. "Well vodka" - is the house vodka, my establishment serves our high-rollers with Bankers Club. The term "well" comes from the container the liquor is kept in behind the bar. It's known as a well, because that's where the bartenders draw their drinks from, a well like Jack and Jill's, only less wholesome.

...but I digress.

I've waited on the customer in question at least twice, I'll remember every time and this throws people into a frenzy. There is a woman who comes in and orders a grey goose martini, a little dirty, no vermouth, up with a twist of lemon. By the way that she acts, you would think no one has ever made her drink correctly since she turned 21, which is probably about 145 years ago.

Anyway, my point is, if you go into a bar more than once and they remember your drink, don't be surprised, that's their job.

If you go into a bar more than once and they remember everything you had on, your drink, your address on your I.D. when they carded you and your license plate number from when they stealthily followed you back to your car- I would probably stay away from there.


2 comments:

  1. I always find it embarrassing when I watch guys (I have never seen a woman do this) order drinks they made up at the bar.

    I guess they think it sounds impressive to have their own drink, but you're right...they always suck. Stick to the classics, fellows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Caleb,

    I'm glad you recognize the level of lameness with inventing your own drinks. Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete