Thursday, August 4, 2011

Recipe Review: Kale Chips

In all of my 24 years of existence cooking has never been much of a past time for me. Then I got married to a fatty.... now we cook constantly and consequently, gain weight at about the same rate, so I'm always looking for healthy things. About a month ago I was bombarded with the term Kale Chips - I was seeing it on blogs, Twitter, in magazines and splashed across the interwebs. Upon trying them, with my own modifications, they are awesome and easy.


  • Take some kale, it shrinks when cooked, so a big bunch is a good amount as a side dish for two people.
  • Wash it, cut the big stems out, I usually divide it down the center completely because the stems are not tasty. Also it's easier to eat if it is in bite sized portions
  • Lay them flat on a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper. You could also spray the sheet instead, but with parchment paper you can just shake them off into a bowl.
  • Now here's my biggest modification, most recipes said toss with olive oil or melted butter, but it's somewhat time-consuming (I'm not wasting 5 minutes of my life coating greens in olive oil). So I use spray butter. It's so easy and gets the entire thing coated which makes them crunchy and has zero calories. Don't forget to coat both sides.
  • Sprinkle both sides with sea salt.
  • Bake at 330 degrees for roughly 9 minutes. I like mine super crunchy, not as wilty. I also do not think they have bitter taste when slightly burned, but most of the reviews I read said cook for 7 minutes.
  • Shake into a bowl and hide them from your husband/children because otherwise they will eat all of them while you are cleaning up.
  • Enjoy!

This is so easy, so good and healthy - it's almost too good to be true!!

1 comment:

  1. I discovered them a month or two ago... one of my new favorite sides!

    ReplyDelete