Saturday, February 14, 2009

Valentine's Day is not for everyone

The night before Valentine's Day was especially wonderful at my place of employment. Not only did we have a valentine's appetizer, entree, dessert and cocktail, which happened to be a raspberry kiss, but even the Friday night before, the dining room was filled with love birds.

The bar was a different story.

You must be a pretty quirky individual to go out the night before Valentine's Day to drown your sorrows in a bar where cocktails are $9.50. As we were winding down after the happy hour rush, two men came in to do just that.

One of the guys is a semi-regular customer and always leaves the bartender a large tip, unfortunately I didn't immediately recognize him as such. That evening, he was decked out in a very high-end light and dark pink striped shirt which complemented his unnaturally tan skin nicely.

His friend was trying to play cupid and as I walked out of the kitchen back into the bar, Cupid immediately nudged his friend and motioned in my direction. I'm thinking, "Oh great, just what I need, as I am trying to.."

"HONEY!" - all the sudden my thoughts were interrupted. No not honey, like a sweet term of endearment, but more like HUUUN-EEEE.

He can't be talking to me. So as I walked by, minding my own business, he grabs my face and firmly plants a kiss on my protesting mouth. Forgive me for not recognizing you, I've only seen you a few times and I was distracted.

Apparently we're best friends and I didn't even realize. With slurred words, Cupid tries to explain his friend, who's name I still don't know, but we'll call Zeus, has been in love with me for months... and I didn't even recognize him, such a shame.

The rest of the evening consisted of him trying to kiss me every chance he got and bellowing "HONEY!!" when I wasn't in his immediate line of vision. My manager soon graced the bar with her presence and was surprised as the rest of us when Zeus asked her for a kiss and then proceeded to take off his shirt to show everyone his new tattoo.

After being groped more times than the last three weeks combined, he asks me to proclaim his love for him and ditch my boyfriend that night so we could go back to his place.

After that I decided to stay in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment