Saturday, March 21, 2009

Lead me out of Egypt - figuratively

Vivian's leaving makes my life with the third cocktailer just that much more difficult. With only one week left in Pittsburgh, Vivian's last shifts are looming. There are 12 shifts to be covered each week; Monday - Friday's lunch and dinner and Saturday and Sunday's are just dinner. Usually during the busy shifts there are two of us. Being that I cannot work lunches, Vivian's departure leaves all lunch shifts to... the "Locust."

One witty server has coined the name, the locust, for the third cocktailer. In a previous post, I referenced readers to the Bible chapter, Exodus.

For those who have no contact with the Qur'an, the Bible or the Torah, the exodus includes the 10 plagues, number eight being hoards of locusts that descended upon the land to destroy anything living that number seven plague (hailstorms) didn't get. Thus - cocktailer #3.



Not only does she have the personality of a locust, but if you squint hard enough, she resembles one as well; small stature with beady eyes (as I imagine a locust having) plus her hair is roughly the same color.



It's easy to look past her rude demeanor, incorrect grammar and lack of people skills, but her greediness is a problem. There will always be issues in the restaurant business with fairness in the number of tables each server gets. It's worse on the bar side. We don't have a hostess, so we take turns, taking every other table that comes in.

The locust almost always has more tables than me and if I ever try to even it up, she runs to the managers like they're her mother. Usually, everyone just chalks it up to the luck of the draw. This past Friday was one of the worst days. Her sales more than doubled mine. I walked out with $87, she walked out with $180 - how she even made that much I'll never know. Customers frequently complain about her prickly manner and rude service.

Plus, she doesn't even remotely follow the guidelines I listed for prime tip making. She rarely wears make-up and her hair is usually a mess. Not to mention, it really benefits us to not act like a giant bitch - apparently she didn't get that memo.

For awhile I was holding onto the hope that she would get fired, but with Vivian leaving and me working three shifts a week, that's definitely not happening now.

I guess I'll just draw my patience from Moses and just keep my legs crossed and my mind on Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment